Monday, August 21, 2006

Sleeping Single In A Double Bed

Some of you may not know this country song by Barbara Mandrell, but last night (or early this morning), it was playing in my mind. You see, my first born child has only slept in a crib. Last month, he went camping with his dad and slept in a sleeping bag, but other than that, for the entire 2 1/2 years of his life, he has slept in a crib. So as I watched in amazement last night/this morning as Mason quietly entertained himself in a double-sized hotel bed that Daddy had to eventually join him in, I was left "Sleeping Single in a Double Bed." Mitch and I have often wondered what Mason does when we put him down for bed at night - now, we wonder no more. He chats and sings and does hand motions and if given the opportunity, gets on the phone. Yes, I looked over last night to see Mason with the hotel phone to his head, whispering away to who knows who. I'm just glad he didn't order room service. I thought he might cry or climb/fall out of the "big bed," but no, it was just a constant stream of whispering and occasional quiet version of "No More Monkeys Jumping on the Bed." I laughed so hard I had to bury my head in the pillow so Mason wouldn't hear me.
So our first road trip with both boys was a success. We traveled to south Alabama for a family function, then to Callaway Gardens. It was hot and we were tired most of the time, but we had fun - butterflies, birds of prey - it was a big time. As we watched the birds of prey flying over our heads, I was certain they would think one or more of my boys was prey and snatch them up for lunch - but Mitch assured me that should that occur, he would have saved them. I was still a little nervous. And Mason seemed a little concerned about the owl we saw that didn't hoot - we later learned that it didn't know how. And of course, we had a Wild Kingdom moment - butterflies mating - I thought Mitch got a picture of that, but when I downloaded the pictures, I discovered that he didn't - he said he didn't think we needed that exact shot. I guess not.

5 comments:

keri said...

first of all...great family photo of you guys! my parents got married in that chapel behind you, btw!!

sounds like a fun time...i can just hear mason singing and talking on the phone. thats too cute. and a disabled owl? hmmm... and i would've liked to have seen the butterflies mating as well...come on mitchell!!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you guys had a good trip and Mason is way too cute! And I'm with Keri, where's the butterfly picture?!

Lainey Bug and John Stanley III said...

Not only do I remember that Barbara Mandrell song, I would play that tape in my boom box while roller skating on my carport when I was little. YIKES!
I really think Mason has more personality than any little kid I've known. He is so hilarious! I hope the transition to the bed continues to be a good one for him :) -- Deborah

Anonymous said...

Um in answer to your question...it was me Mason was on the phone with, and could you ask him not to call after 9pm
Mitchell-I have never seen mating butterflys...you have grieved me deeply.

Lisa said...

We miss you guys--reading that made me miss little Mason. Such a cutie. Glad you guys had a good time on your family trip!