Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Hair! Flow it, Show it

I have boys. I've never had to deal with ribbons or ponytails or tangles or anything girlie having to do with hair. When to cut Mason's hair for the first time was quite a topic of discussion (since he didn't have any for a long while), but still, not a big hair issue. Then we had Miles Avery and from the moment he arrived, he has been a hair issue (don't put that hat on him, it covers up his hair; did you wash his hair, it doesn't smell freshly washed). And now Miles Avery's hair issues aren't just mine & Mitch's anymore - they are his own - I think his vision is about to be impaired - not to mention the constant look of dirty hair that plagues him because he immediately puts his hands into his hair (hands usually covered with food and/or saliva). I love his hair - it makes him, him. But the dreaded When are you going to cut his hair? questions have begun (Mitch on the forefront of those questions). People always assume he's much older than he is (10 months) due to his grown-man-looking head of hair. But when he's fresh out of the tub and we've just brushed his damp hair and it's so clean and shiny and soft - wait, that only lasts until we get him off the changing table, then it's hand-in-mouth, hand in hair, crusty, dirty hair returns.


Gimme a head with hair, long beautiful hair
Shining, gleaming, steaming, flaxen, waxen
Give me down to there, hair!
Shoulder length, longer (hair!)
Here baby, there mama, Everywhere daddy daddy
Hair! (hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair) Flow it, Show it;
Long as God can grow it, My Hair!
I want it long, straight, curly, fuzzy
Shaggy, shaggy, ratty, matty
Oily, greasy, fleecy, shining
Gleaming, steaming, flaxen, waxen
Knotted, polka-dotted; Twisted, beaded, braided
Powdered, flowered, and confettied
Bangled, tangled, spangled and spaghettied!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is the inutero (major sp) hair; it can't be cut! My boys were born hairy too so I know about the cutting...maybe a small trim, just to protect the eyes.

Anonymous said...

I can completely relate! Even now after I've cut Jonah's hair numerous times I still dread doing it again! Some of our boys just look cuter with longer hair! Why not just trim the bangs a bit?

Dani said...

I love his sweet hair. He is still a baby! Enjoy it while you can.

Lisa said...

He is such a cutie. I love the long hair too. Both my girls were born with "hair issues" but I could just stick a barrette in it! : )