Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Isaiah 43

Do not fear,
for I have redeemed you
I have called you by name

and you are mine

It's been about a month, but I thought that I had helped Mason work through his fear of pumpkins. My parents' neighbors put up a harvest display at the beginning of October and my mom wanted to get Mason's picture with it. But Mason refused and told my mom and I that he was scared of pumpkins. I wanted to giggle when he said it (because it sounded just that cute), but I could tell he was serious. So for the entire month of October, we discussed pumpkins - and it seemed to work - he even revisited the harvest display without fear! So Monday, we headed to our annual pilgrimage to Burt's Pumpkin Farm and all was well - an entire field of orange pumpkins and not a peep out of Mason about being scared. So we went on the tractor-pulled hayride and it was great until we stopped and two giant pumpkins began to talk! I thought Mason was going to come out of his skin! The fear had returned - and who could blame him - the one thing you fear most suddenly appears and not only is it three times its regular size, it also talks - a nightmare come true.
So we will continue to work on Mason's fears - the pumpkins are just the beginning - there's scarecrows, shadows, monsters, and things he hasn't even discovered he's scared of yet. I guess Mitch better learn the guitar chords to Isaiah 43 because it's going to become our home's theme song.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I might be scared of giant pumpkins too! That is a really sweet picture of the 3 of you! Your hair looks good-did you cut it recently? Miss you all!

Melissa said...

FYI - Moose - add Moose to the list of things that Mason is afraid of. We were at Bass Pro Shop and he saw the display and informed me that he is "scared of moose's."