Thursday, November 02, 2006

I Won't Grow Up

I won't grow up
I don't want to wear a tie.
And a serious expression
In the middle of July.
If growing up means
It would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree,
I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up
Not me!

Peter Pan

So the firsts are coming at us fast and furious - sleeping through the night, smiling, rolling over and now Miles Avery's first taste of food. The food thing always hits me the hardest. I am Mommy - I housed him for 40 weeks and have been his sole source of food for his entire life (inside the womb and out) and now, to watch a spoon with a foreign substance enter his tiny mouth, it breaks my heart. Maybe that's why I've made Mitch do this particular duty each time - it almost makes me happy when the food is basically just pushed right back out, as if to say, No, I only like Mommy's food. But I know better and I know that very soon, he'll stop pushing it out and learn to love it. And my heart will continue to break and then mend, then break again - the cycle goes on.

3 comments:

keri said...

i think those first few bites of the foreign food is so funny. their expressions are priceless!! i can't believe that miles is already at that stage!!!

Robyn said...

They grow up so fast. I love the look on their faces, what are you giving me? The firsts are hard.

Anonymous said...

As a Mommy, who also breast fed to the bitter end, I know how hard starting food is. Right until Andy said he thought we shouldn't start food until he was a year and he could go on breast milk alone. When that option appears real food starts to look good.