Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Winner Takes It All

The loser standing small
Beside the victory
That's her destiny 

It's been a week of losing and winning - in that order.  Monday, I started Week Two of Couch to 5K (C25K) and after volunteering in Mason's school library, I headed to the park with Merritt for my first run.  Week Two bumps you up to 90 second running increments.  I made it through the first two with no problem, but on the third one, I got a hill and couldn't finish and things just went downhill.  When I stopped running during the third interval, I couldn't get going again - and I just walked through the rest of the program - defeated, dejected, wondering how I was going to explain to the girls in my small group that I was dropping out.  I was so disappointed in myself.  My gal pals encouraged me and told me to try again later that day, but I wouldn't, didn't.  Tuesday was a rest day (from what, I don't know).  And Wednesday I knew I had to try again.  I waited for Mitch to come home from work this time, so no stroller to blame it on.  Of course, it was freezing yesterday - we were under a wind advisory, but I knew if I didn't run on my scheduled run day, I'd totally lose any momentum I'd started.  So I headed out around our block and immediately doubted if I could do it - even without the weight of Merritt and the stroller - I told myself that I wasn't a runner and rehearsed how I was going to tell the girls.  Then the first 90 second run was over and I was doing fine, breathing fine, ready for another!  And I did it - all 6 increments!  I was a runner after all!  Or a gal with weight to drop desperately trying to get into shape!  I never knew what a mental game running was - I thought it was all breathing and pacing, etc, but once I had a little success, I had it made.  And coming home and seeing the look on Mitch's face makes the victory all the more.  He even came out during the run and gave me a little wave!  He's been super supportive of this whole thing - taking the boys on bike rides while I run.  I'm so thankful.  Go Team!

No comments: