Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Make Our Garden Grow

We're neither pure nor wise nor good
We'll do the best we know

We'll build our house and chop our wood
And make our garden grow

I discovered Candide as a senior in Chapel Choir. I thought it was the most beautiful music I'd ever heard and for some unexplainable reason, the lyrics, combined with the dazzling score made me cry almost every time I sang it. Our choir toured with Make Our Garden Grow as our finale and I thought the tears would never stop. It reflected where I was - Mitch and I were just beginning to plan the rest of our lives together. Anything was possible for us. And now, so many years removed from college and performing, this song still speaks to my life. Through the filter of the gospel and grace, I can hear this song and be reminded that God is building my house, growing my garden. I'm neither pure nor wise nor good. And the best I know is Christ and Christ alone.

You've been a fool and so have I
But come and be my wife
And let us try before we die
To make some sense of life
Let dreamers dream what worlds they please
Those edens can't be found
The sweetest flowers The fairest trees
Are grown in solid ground

2 comments:

keri said...

aw, its my chapel where i said my vows :) that sounds like a pretty song...i've never heard it before.

Anonymous said...

My speakers aren't working so hopefully I can listen to it soon, but what a sweet post! I thank God for music in life and what it does to our hearts.