Monday, February 23, 2009

Your Love is Deep

February 23, 3:05 AM – “Melissa? Are you okay?” She had been in the bathroom a really long time…with the door open and the light on. “Um…I think my water just broke” came the reply. DO WHAT??? “Really?” I asked getting out of bed. “I think so…” And so it began. We certainly hadn’t planned for Baby MAG to come on this night. We had at least 4 more days and we were sure that Baby MAG was going to be a Leap Year baby. I’m sure God was laughing. Melissa calls the doctor, and I start packing a bag. This is really happening. We load into the car and head to the hospital. Luckily, at 4 AM, there is no traffic, so we get there in short order. Checking in was not a problem and we were in our own room quickly. Things slowed down at that point. Labor was not progressing, so we got some time to rest and get acclimated to the hospital. Baby MAG was obviously not entirely ready to see his mommy and daddy. Melissa and I walk the halls, bounce on the ball and do some stretching exercises. Nothing seems to speed the process. Around noon, Dr. Mojick comes in and tells us that we should start the Pitocin. I know that Melissa was bummed because she wanted to do it all natural, but the Doc insisted. The contractions began and Melissa was a champ! “No big deal” she said! That’s my girl! Well, all good things must come to an end and that happened when they decided that she needed Magnesium to help with the pre-clampsia. Melissa started feeling hot and nauseous. I started to worry about her. She can handle a lot, but I know that she hates being hot and really hates vomiting. Finally, it was too much and she had to set pride aside and get the epidural. I felt so badly for her, but knew that it was the best decision. Let me tell you…that epidural was all good. How crazy were we to think that we didn’t need it? God gave it to us, let’s use it! Pushing time came with little trouble and I was ready. I got Melissa’s Wildcat socks and put them on her feet….holes and all. She was ready! I honestly didn’t know that it would take so long. I saw Baby MAG’s head for a long time before it made its way out. Dr. Mojick told us that Baby MAG was a boy and I was so happy. I got to hold him first as Melissa was getting cleaned up. So tiny…and so cute. I’m a daddy!! I could barely contain my pride for Melissa. She had done so well and I just wanted to hold her and tell her how special she was. She had brought our son into the world!

Mitch wrote this for Mason's baby scrapbook

Happy 5th Birthday Mason!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

So sweet to hear things from Mitch's perspective...thanks for sharing.

Dani said...

Oh I loved that!