Friday, February 20, 2009

Cat's In The Cradle

My child arrived just the other day,
He came to the world in the usual way.
But there were planes to catch, and bills to pay,
He learned to walk while I was away.

Mason is turning 5 on Monday and although it's not exactly a cat's in the cradle moment for us (I don't think we've missed a single event in his life), it's a big milestone. We've been parents for five years now (why aren't we any better at it yet?).

I love being a mom. I love being my boys' mom. Parenthood isn't anything like I thought it would be - it's better/different/worse. It effects every segment of your life. And once you become a mom, you'll never be anything else. You will always be your child's mother. I read Love You Forever to Miles Avery the other day and he was entranced by it. He loved the picture of the man carrying the mother. I didn't explain the significance of the little book - that my mom gave it to me a million years ago, with a little note saying that maybe I could read it to my children one day. One day is here.



2 comments:

keri said...

so hard to believe that he is turning 5. and 5 years later, you have 3 boys! you are a great mom to those 3 cuties!! happy birthday to mason!

Anonymous said...

I love the yearly photos. He is precious. Happy Birthday, Jedi Mason. Miss Nicole